Reading time: 3 minutes
What are some reasons you feel like giving up? Do they include any of the following?
- Have you experienced too many failures or rejections?
- Do you feel worth less than others?
- Do you feel not needed or not wanted?
- Do you feel tired, lost, or confused?
- Does your existence seem pointless?
You might not think of yourself as depressed, but if you answered yes to any of those questions, then you are experiencing some form of discouragement. When your burden becomes too great, you’ll naturally consider giving up. Feeling like you want to give up should throw a red flag for you.
Unfortunately, you will encounter discouraging people and circumstances. Sometimes you can make better choices to prevent bad things from happening. Other times, there isn’t anything you could have done differently. Either way, when you continue to suffer long after a difficult experience, there’s usually a good reason.
What keeps you weighed down and prevents you from moving forward? Do any of these sound like you?
- You’re trying to do it all yourself.
- You believe God doesn’t care or He is somehow against you.
- You think being humble means you should have low self-worth.
- You think you’ve committed the unpardonable sin and God is condemning you to hell.
Unfortunately, you can become committed to a life strategy that doesn’t work. If so, it’s either based on a lie or it’s not the right approach for you.
What do you need to know to keep going instead of giving up? Can you say that any of these are true?
- You have a clear purpose and act on it consistently.
- You ask God to help you advance His kingdom.
- You ask God to purify your motives.
- You understand God is responsible for the results (the fruit).
- You trust God to multiply your efforts.
- You surrender the outcome to God.
Why are you really doing what you’re doing? Do you have at least one main reason? If you don’t, you’ll find you have no gas in your tank to draw on when the going gets tough.
Are you weary, carrying a heavy burden? Then come to me. I will refresh your life, for I am your oasis. Simply join your life with mine. Learn my ways and you’ll discover that I’m gentle, humble, easy to please. You will find refreshment and rest in me.Matthew 11:28-29 TPT
You are to be faithful to the resources God has given you. God causes all things to grow.
I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.1 Corinthians 3:6-9 NIV
It’s easy to have selfish motives. If you can see yourself as partnering with God, then you’ll be more willing to let God help you align your desires to His desires.
Don’t give up. God loves you and has a plan for your life.
Are you still feeling like giving up? What do you struggle with the most about finding and living your purpose? Are you able to both know your purpose and enjoy your life?
Matt Pavlik is a licensed professional clinical counselor who wants to see each individual restored to their true identity. He has more than 20 years of experience counseling individuals and couples at his Christian counseling practice, New Reflections Counseling. Matt and Georgette have been married since 1999 and live with their four children in Centerville, Ohio.